Saturday 7 February 2009

a cup of tea and a piece of cake



This is how I spent my afternoon, along with the latest episode of Pushing Daisies. Perfect.
The cake is a Lemon Syrup Cake (a Nigella recipe). It was a belated birthday cake for S. His birthday was back in October (!) and I didn't get a chance to make him a cake at the time. I have been feeling guilty about it - obviously not that guilty, though - and decided that today was the day.

Earlier I went in to town for a wander round the charity shops. Only bought this book - Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson. I haven't seen the film yet, but keep hearing wonderful reviews of the book on various blogs, so thought I woul give it a try.



At £1.69 it was a bit above my self-imposed limit of £1 per book, but I got it anyway. I have bought so many books over the last couple of years (at one point it was about 4 a week!) that there is no way I will ever catch up with reading them. Hence the limit.
There are exceptions to the limit though - I have a list of books that I can spend a bit more on if I come across them. Thankfully, most of the charity shops round here are fairly cheap for books, so I'm not actually being too strict with myself!

No comments: